Monday, October 28, 2013

RIP Edna Krabappel (and Lou Reed)

News yesterday that one of our favourite Simpsons characters has died, specifically Edna Krabappel (or, more precisely, the voice of Mrs K, Marcia Wallace). Edna's search for love is an enduring theme in the Simpsons, as was her trademark, cynical Ha! 

Here's a few of her best lines (well, we think so).

From 'Special Edna' (Ep7, Season 14):
Oh, Lord, it's only Wednesday.
I hope one of those little hoods puts a tack on my chair just so I can feel something.


From 'The PTA Disbands' (Ep21, Season 6):
Mrs. Krabappel: Seymour, you have to think of the children's future.
Seymour: Oh, Edna. We all know that these children HAVE no future.  


From 'Bart the Lover' (Ep16, Season 3):
Elizabeth Hoover: I fail to see the educational value of this assembly.
Mrs. Krabappel: Ah, it will be one of their few pleasant memories when they're pumping gas for a living.


And here's a montage of the Ha! moments:


We'll miss you, Mrs K.

This morning came the news that rock 'n' roll animal Lou Reed has died. What to say except that I still have a copy of Berlin in my vinyl collection given to me by a flatmate who went on the become Quite Famous. For me, Berlin remains his masterpiece, and here's a tune from it:

And for the FM listeners among you, here's Sweet Jane with guitarist Steve Hunter: